Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

The day I stopped drinking milk


What or who inspired you to write this book?
There is no one in particular who inspired me to write this book. I have been fortunate to have met and interacted with people from different walks of life and socio-economic strata, all of whom have influenced and impacted my life in many ways. But I must admit that one woman in a remote village in Orissa taught me the lesson of my life.

I was in the village building a school for children, when there was a heavy downpour... My translator took me to a hut nearby... The owner of the hut asked if I wanted tea or coffee and I said I do not drink tea or coffee. He then offered me milk and I agreed, so as not to hurt his feelings. Then I overheard his wife, who was trying to pacify her bawling baby, tell her husband that she could offer tea with a few spoons of milk or fish curry or leftover rice cooked with water, as there was only one glass of goat’s milk left for the baby. She also told her husband, “That lady has grey hair but no common sense. Doesn’t she realise we are poor people who have to work hard to even get a glass of milk? She shouldn’t be asking for an expensive drink like milk.” The couple did not know that I could understand Oriya.

When my host brought some milk for me, I refused saying that I had forgotten that I was on a fast that day. From that day on, I drink milk only at home. I realised that I am a difficult and expensive guest, especially in the company of poor people.
More Here

No comments:

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...