Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

A mirror



When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Naxalites,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Naxal.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

When students were left high and dry at the bus stop desperate to reach school for the exams, and the State Transport bus was not in sight, I was too busy to gauge their helplessness, because I had my bike to drop my kids at school.

When the electricity department shut down power without any intimation, I did not call to enquire about it, because I had installed a 2 KVA Inverter in my house.

When the prices of the essential commodities were hiked manifold, I did not bother about those daily wage earners, because I had a huge raise in my salary and perks with the implementation of 6th Pay Commission.

When I heard the siren of an ambulance or a fire tender, I did not mind to switch off the TV and enquire about it, because my abode was safe and kids were all asleep in their cozy bed.

When the teachers in a government school in my neighborhood reached school late and left early, I was least worried, as my children were studying in a posh private school.

When the health sub centre remained closed for months for want of doctor and medicines, I did not intervene as I had my master health check-up at a private hospital.

Is that a colonial mindset or our selfishness…! 
Zubair Ahmed in his blog. More Here 

No comments:

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...