Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Keeping a daily relationship with Quran

Procrastination affects us all – however, the most serious procrastination is the one that keeps us away from Allah’s path and away from good deeds.
 
It’s interesting how people normally procrastinate to do good deeds or beneficial actions, but would rarely procrastinate when it come to bad deeds or useless tasks! It reminds me of what Imam Zaid Shakir said in our recent interview with him, he said clearly ”procrastination is from shaytaan”.

I want us to tackle a growing problem amongst many Muslims today: It’s the procrastination from reading/reciting the Quran on a daily basis. We call it procrastination, but in some cases, it can be called complete abandonment (may Allah protect us).

Excuses, Excuses…

Normally, what makes people procrastinate from reading the Quran daily revolves around the following six excuses:
  1. Lack of time: “I don’t have time! I’m too busy!”
  2. Enough Quran in Salah: “I read Quran in my Salah everyday…”
  3. Mental blocks: “I like to be in a certain mental/spiritual state to read the Quran – I rarely get those ‘states’ every day”
  4. Guilt: “I haven’t touched the Quran in ages, I feel so bad, don’t think I can read it now, maybe when I go to Hajj or in Ramadan”
  5. Inability to read: “I don’t know how to read the Quran”
  6. Lack of Understanding: “I can read the Quran but I don’t understand it, so for me, there’s no point reading it”
We’ve heard these excuses in varied degrees and we’ll tackle them below insha’Allah.

Seriousness of Abandoning the Quran

Firstly, I want to highlight the seriousness of not keeping a close relationship with the Quran. Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala) says in the Quran: And the Messenger (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) will say: O my Lord! Verily, my people deserted this Qur’an (neither listened to it, nor acted on its laws and teachings). (Quran, Surah Al-Furqan, Chapter #25, Verse #30).

Imagine the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) complaining about me and you on day of Judgement for deserting the Quran? And why shouldn’t he complain when he (Peace and blessings be upon him) left behind the best of Books, the eternal miracle, the words of Allah between our hands, and we simply put it on a shelf to collect dust!
Productive Muslim in Productive Muslim.com. More Here

No comments:

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...