Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mumbai attacks, Tagore and a soul stirring poem!

The Mumbai attacks has been a bloodiest blow to the country. It has created an urge to be united. To be ONE. Each and every peace loving Indian felt it. If we get divided we would fall in the trap of the terrorists.
Whoever may be the terrorists, they should be condemned and shunned away.
Amidst these testing times, I remember a poem by legendary poet and the man who won the Nobel prize for literature, yeah you got it, Rabindra Nath Tagore.
I remember with all the trivial details when I was introduced to this soul stirring poem for the first time in my life. I was in my high school. We were the second batch to appear SSLC from our School, ie Dominic Savio Higher Secondary School. Our English Tutor was fresh. His name was S. Francis. And we used to fondly call him SF. He was just appointed and it was his first class. He started with that poem. I still remember the way he recited it. I could recollect the tiny beads of perspiration in his fore head. Yet he won our hearts as was the poem.
The poem was:
Give Me Strength

This is my prayer to thee, my lord -- strike,
strike at the root of penury in my heart.

Give me the strength lightly to bear my joys and sorrows.

Give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service.

Give me the strength never to disown the poor or bend my knees before insolent might.

Give me the strength to raise my mind high above daily trifles.

And give me the strength to surrender my strength to thy will with love.

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow
domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the
dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought
and action--
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.


I think this poem sums up the mood of the country today.

See the video of Moulana Azhari condemning the Mumbai terror
Read : Don't shoot me, Iam not a terrorist!!

No comments:

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...